First hint of rain today- but it didn't hang around. Starting with Trench 2, we've seen the first outbreak of planning going on. The students cracked through getting the post-pad building drawn, so can look forward to a day of context sheets tomorrow. Just next to the building, John and Olivia have been quietly fossicking around in a little corner between it and the main structure. Over the last few days this has been producing huge quantities of animal bone- some of the densest deposits I've seen so far, all from a relatively discrete area. Cameron, our bone guru, has been getting very excited...
In the smaller room, Vincent, Joe and Charlotte have been continuing ever deeper- we did a little tentative probing and reckon we have another 6-8 inches before hitting a solid floor- very exciting! In the main room, yet more stones being removed, including some of the big ones in the eastern side. This means we are now more or less back in sequence again. Nicest finds from this trench were a couple of bone pins
In Trench 1, more work on the new wall. Now looking very impressive- although confusingly we've got a small stretch of yet another wall running parallel and between the edge of the barrack and the main new wall. It is only a couple of metres long and pretty rough and ready. Nearby, Karen is continuing cleaning the gully up to the edge of Hilly's pit, were Fabian is making great progress with edge hunting. Meanwhile, to the north, the stone trough has cleaned up nicely and appears to be sitting on a flagstone floor (or possibly set into it).
This blog will share information about the major new field project at the Roman fort of Binchester (Co. Durham), run jointly by Durham County Council, the Dept. of Archaeology, Durham University, Vinovia.org, Texas Tech University and the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland. It will communicate news, events, and once the field season starts a daily update of the discoveries on site. To find out more visit our website